So many things to do and see. Here’s a selection with hopefully something for everyone:
- Fresh, organic, local strawberries. Need I say more? Yum!
- Avoid the crowds! Come before school finishes for the summer and get ALL the attractions with fewer people. And you can hike our trails, kayak the lakes and go bicycling before the weather gets too hot!
- Tuesday Farmer’s Produce Market starts June 7th in Centennial Park from 3.00pm-7.00pm (where the Saturday Market is held). Meet your local farmers, buy organically grown produce and locally sourced treats to take home or make dinner with!
- Brand new Wednesday “Market in the Meadow” – Arts, Crafts, Food! Includes Aki’s famous Roly Poly Rice Balls and home-made Miso soups, Eve’s Garden Veggie Pâté, Fresh & hand popped kettle corn and cool crushed lemonade and of course, Brigitte’s delicious French treats. United Church Meadow 111 Hereford ave (behind Island Savings) from 9.30am to 2.00pm
- Summer Solstice celebration from at Salt Spring Vineyards. Sunday 17th June from 12.00-6.00pm. Food, wine and music – take Dad along for Father’s Day! Jose Sanchez and the cuban party, Leanne Brunnel and Chris on Guitar! Local food by Harbour House, Raven Street, Moby’s Oyster Boat, Country Grocer and us! Bring a picnic, buy a picnic, taste wine, eat, dance and celebrate the start of summer!
- Thursday 21st – Saturday 23rd – Velo Village! Salt Spring Island will become bicycle heaven-on-earth – the most welcoming place on this planet to be riding your bike. June 23 is the FIRST IN BC HISTORY – BICYCLE ONLY FERRY and Fun Ride into Ganges. ALL participants MUST preregister ($20 includes all bicycle events that day), so register now at velovillage.ca. In the afternoon there will be workshops, guided rides around SSI, yoga for cyclists and more. Come to Art Spring to discover all.
- Heidi Van Impe and Peter Allan’s “Shadows & Light” at Salt Spring Fine Art Gallery on 135 McPhillips Avenue. Sculpture by Peter Allan and Oil paintings by Heidi Van Impe (we have a ‘Van Impe’ for sale in the cottage!). Opening reception Thursday June 14th 4.30-7.30pm, Show runs from June 14th-28th www.saltspringgallery.ca
Joyce & Nick Bantock’s “Tail of the Dove” Artcraft Showcase Gallery at Mahon Hall at 114 Rainbow Rd. Opening Reception Friday June 15th 6-8 pm, Show runs from June 15th – July 11th.
- Live Music at The Treehouse. Check out June’s program of nightly music from 7pm! Includes Tom Hooper and family on Monday June 18th, Billie Woods on June 21st and the ever popular Sunyata (hot gypsy mélange of North African, Latin, Mediterranean and Western Canadian influences with a little Mid-Eastern Canadian too!) on Friday June 29th. Oh – and Brent Shindell on Saturday June 30th and Barefoot Thieves on Sunday July 1st make for a memorable long weekend!
- Shirley Valentine, one woman show returns for 5 nights at Mistaken Identity Vineyards, 164 Norton Rd. $25 for adults (includes glass of wine). Greek Tapas by Moby’s from 6pm – 7pm, Curtain time is at 7.30pm (until 10pm).(Outdoor Venue bring your own seating if you like). 50% of all ticket sales to go towards TreeSisters. www.shirleyvalentine.ca (JUNE 29, 30, JULY 1, AND JULY 6TH AND 7TH)
- It’s a great time to see migratory birds. Some will be en route to their summer breeding grounds and our summer residents should all now be here! Look for Western Tanagers, Turkey Vultures and the recently spotted Black-headed Grosbeak. In fact we have a Black-headed Grosbeak in our garden singing as I write this! Also listen out for Swainson’s Thrush (my sound of summer!).